Are you obsessed with pumpkin-flavoured foods? It’s no secret that they are among the best. They are also perfect for serving your family and friends during holidays.
But you can go a notch higher and turn your pumpkin pie into a dessert infused with cannabis. You only need to add cannabutter to your list of ingredients. Still new to the fascinating art of making cannabis edibles? Worry not.
Here’s a detailed guide on how to bake a marijuana pumpkin pie to perfection.
Best Strains for Cannabis-infused Pumpkin Pie
The critical question is, which cannabis strain should you use for your pumpkin pie recipe? You need to know well in advance before even making your cannabis butter. Ideally, pick a cannabis strain that delivers a sweet flavour. This will combine well with pumpkin pie.
Here are the best three strains for your DIY marijuana pumpkin pie:
- CBD Kush: delivers a sweet sugary flavour
- Pumpkin Kush: tastes similar to pumpkin pie
- Sugar Cookie: features some fruit flavours, which might blend in well with your pumpkin pie
Add your preferred cannabis strain to butter. The resulting cannabutter is then blended with the pumpkin pie, producing a dessert filled with marijuana goodness. But how exactly do you make cannabutter? We’ll go into detail.
Making Cannabis Butter
You need first to decarboxylate your favourite marijuana strain. This process serves to activate and convert cannabinoids within the weed plant from acidic form to regular form.
Start by heating your oven to 240˚F. Next, place the ground-up weed on a baking tray and into the oven. Wait for about 40 minutes, then remove the marijuana from the oven for cooling. It should look dry, flaky, and toasted.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for making cannabis butter:
- A cup of decarboxylated ground marijuana
- 1 cup of water
- 5 cups of salted butter
- A ceramic or glass bowl
- A storage container
- A knife
- A pot
- A spatula
- Add the traditional butter and water to a pot and place it on the stove up to a boiling point.
- Add the decarboxylated cannabis once the butter has completely melted.
- Maintain low heat for three hours as you stir the mixture occasionally.
- Turn off the stove and allow the mixture to cool.
- Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth and into a glass bowl. The cloth serves as a filter to catch the plant material.
- Close the bowl with a lid and put it in a fridge to solidify.
- The butter will soon detach from the water. Using a knife and spatula, lift it off and place it in a sealed storage container.
Making Weed Pumpkin Pie
You already have your cannabis butter prepared. Here’s a step-by-step process for whipping up your DIY delicious weed pumpkin pie:
The Ingredients for Making Filling
- 2 cups of pumpkin puree
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cannabutter
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- Whipped cream
The Ingredients for Making Pie Crust
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons of chilled sweet butter
- 4 tablespoons of ice water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of cloves
- Put the pumpkin in a large saucepan.
- Add water, cover the saucepan, and allow it to boil for 15 minutes. Make sure the pumpkin pieces have become tender. Drain the water and allow the pumpkin to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- To prepare the crust, take a mixer fitted with a dough blade and add flour, sugar, salt, cloves, and cinnamon. Combine.
- Add butter into the mixture. Combine until the mixture is clumpy with butter.
- Add four tablespoons of cold water to the mixture. Continue mixing until the dough starts to come together. Transfer the dough into a clean tabletop sprinkled with flour.
- The trick of making flaky pie crusts is to avoid touching the dough as much as possible. To do this, roll the dough between two layers of waxed paper or plastic wrap. This is also a convenient method of moving the dough into the pie plate.
- Next, roll out the dough in all directions using a rolling pin. Take out the top layer of plastic wrap or paper. Flip the dough over and also take out the bottom layer of waxed or plastic paper.
- Press the dough inside the pie plate. You can use your fingers to create a nice border on pie by shaping out the borders into a scalloped edge. Put the pie crust in the freezer.
- Increase your oven’s heat setting to 430˚ F.
- The next step is to prepare the filling. Grind the tender chunks of pumpkin through a sieve into a big bowl. The end product is a pumpkin puree or pudding.
- In another large mixing bowl, pour salt, sugar, nutmeg, and a ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Beat the eggs and add them into the mixture, along with milk and cannabis butter.
- Lastly, add the pumpkin puree. Stir the mixture to combine.
- Pour this perfectly blended mixture into the prepared pie crust. Bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Adjust the temperature back to 350˚ F and cook in the oven until the filling is set. This might take around 50 minutes.
- Let the pie cool before topping with whipped cream and the rest of the cinnamon.
Remember, there are different ways to make marijuana pumpkin pie. You can opt for a big pumpkin pie which you can slice up and eat when you feel like it. Alternatively, you can make small pumpkin pies, especially if you have a group of friends coming over. Simply break up a huge piece of pastry dough into mini portions. Then, push the pastry crust inside the respective small pie dishes.
The Bottom Line
Do you have a classic pumpkin recipe that you’ve stuck to religiously over the years? Why not add cannabis to spice it up?
Consider whipping up a delicious cannabis-infused pumpkin pie dessert for your upcoming birthday, holiday, or weekend treat. Remember to calculate the dosage properly to avoid a too-large intake. This may lead to unexpected strong psychoactive effects.
You should also make sure you tell your guests what they are about to eat beforehand. You don’t want to get them stoned without their knowledge.